Saturday, September 10, 2011

When Life Finds You

Lately, I have taken note of some things that, at first glance, it looks like I have done, that I have discovered, that I have made for myself. Because as I continue to examine these things, I have come to find that many of them, I have not found at all. They've found me. 

Running is the most real example of a part of life that has found me. For those of you who have known me for any amount of time at all, you've probably heard me utter the phrase, There's really only two good reasons to run as far as I'm concerned. I'm either really late or something's chasing me. What happened to that attitude? Where did that philosophy go? One day, I just woke up and started running (slowly and painfully)...and I've found in a few short weeks a love for the sport, and maybe even a talent for it.

Running was definitely not in the forefront of my mind for this summer. In fact, it wasn't even on my radar. It was a foreign concept that I only associated with pain, injury, and a special brand of insanity that I saw in some of my mega-running friends. So, I cannot claim that I found running. Running found me. And it found me at the very time that I would need to focus on health and balance, a time that I would need a distraction from the business and craziness of a very full life. 

I think graduate school falls into this same category. What are the odds that a person can get accepted to both a full-time masters and doctoral program that one, did not require GRE scores to get in, and two, allowed me to work full-time while studying. I am fully convinced that education has found me. 

Even some of my friendships have found me at the very times that I have needed them or they have needed me. 

I don't consider this fate or happenstance or pleasant coincidences. This is God at work. This is a God that desires joy for my life, that wants my heart to be happy. And although I pursue Him and His will for my life, I still find that He surprises me by giving me unexpected joys. This year, more than any before, I am recognizing the gifts, even the little gifts that God gives to me, even when I'm not necessarily looking for them, and my heart is truly grateful for the many unexpected and beautiful gifts.

1 comment:

Erv Mellema said...

Happenstance, na I don't think so! I call these things--they just fall in my lap! Such is life. erv