Monday, January 14, 2008

Education -- the Pursuit of.....

Today began a new class in my grad program: The History of Higher Education. So far this course has yielded some of the driest reading to date, but the texts do pose some interesting thoughts. In three chapters of descriptions of where America's colleges rooted from, the trend of the purpose of higher education is discussed.

At first, me pursued higher education in order to gain the knowledge of forefathers and philosophies of old. Ancient languages like Latin, Greek, and Hebrew were taught for the sheer purpose of knowing them...perhaps to speak the language of the angels. Education quickly took a turn toward service within the church or community as an educated clergyman or town leader. And following that, men realized that they could be quite prosperous and successful in the secular world. And yet following that, that college was less about learning and more about social experiences. Higher learning became a party, even in the 1800s rather than an enlightenment for the sake of personal, mental, and spiritual growth. (And now I am boring myself. Sorry...)

But now, as I struggle through the readings for this less than enthralling course, I wonder what exactly I am pursuing. My gut says for the money and success, as many could probably honestly admit. But as I look to my future, pondering what exciting things it could hold -- love, a family, community involvement, a home, a career, a mission.... I wonder if my reasoning goes deeper than just money and personal success. I have determined that I quite frankly enjoy learning. I don't do this work for a piece of paper, for a higher salary, or for the admiration of my friends (although, I won't deny they are all bonuses), but for personal, mental, and spiritual growth, just as the founding sons and daughters of the first classes, in the first colleges, of a brand new world.

So I apply this logic to my other aspirations in life. Why do I pursue them? Is it just for me? Is it for the glory of God? Or is it for show, success, and admiration?

No comments: