Tuesday, April 29, 2008

'Cuz We Need a Little More Rain...

So I found myself in Peoria, Illinois yesterday. I just ran down there quick to visit a few stu-well, schools. (I didn't see any students, so I guess that's not what I went to visit.) But while I was there, the strangest thing happened. The weather turned bipolar. I had never seen anything quite like it. One minute it would start to rain, and because it was so chilly out, it would quickly turn to sleet, then hail. That would last about ten minutes or so, and then the sky would clear and the sun would shine for fifteen minutes or so. Lather, rinse, repeat, and that's what happened all day long.

And as I drove back north to Platteville, it continued to rain, and streams and rivers continued to be well out of their banks, and fields continued to sit with water. I can say with certainty that we don't need any more rain. But if you read enough reports and almanacs, or listen to wise and knowledgeable Tara, you'll learn that this growing season is supposed to be too dry to grow good crops. I guess I'll have to see it to believe it. And if this is indeed true, why aren't more people scurrying to collect all the excess water to utilize later when everything dries up? Something to think about.

And the forecast for the week doesn't look promising. Thursday and Friday are projected to bring more rain and thunderstorms. So get your rain coats and goulashes...and maybe you're small fishing boats propped up in the street...the fun's not over yet.

No comments: