Thursday, July 02, 2009

A (Gainfully Employed) Year in Review

Yesterday was my one-year anniversary of being employed at the University of Dubuque, so I thought it would be fitting to spend some time this morning looking over my blog entries from a year ago. Turns out, they're great for a laugh. Check out July and August 2008 archives to re-enjoy them as I have (be sure to read from bottom to top).

God has been so good in this last year. Not only has He brought me to the place that He wants me to be, He's molded me and changed me for the better, equipping me for even better use by Him. When I started this job, I was, in a word, overwhelmed...overwhelmed with life, coming at me from all angles, with everything it had tho throw at me. I was a full time grad student and full time rookie employee, all the while fighting to be a good girlfriend, good friend, good daughter, and all around good person...many of which I was really no good at at all for a time. I was high strung, wound too tight, eating too little, and fighting too hard to make all the spinning plates stay atop their respective posts. But that was only for a season.

I can't quite identify the moment it happened, but I was changed completely. I learned what true reliance on God felt like, and why it is so extremely crucial to my survival in this world. And my whole personality has been altered for the better as one who now strives for calm, peaceful moments.

All of this, I've poured out to you before here, so I won't draw on about that for too much longer...

Over the past year:
  • I have attended forty plus concerts, comedians, hypnotists, or entertainers.
  • I have been on seven or so trips with students, one of which was an overnight trip to a conference, and several of which were on filled charter buses.
  • I managed to come out ahead in all of my department budgets while effectively spending a few hundred thousand dollars.
  • I ran a New Student Orientation program, a Homecoming Week (completely with parade), and a Spring Fling Week all for the first time, and all without major incident.
  • I somehow convinced campus to let me move my office to a primo location in the Student Union (at least we're making progress on that front still).
  • I have made (or at least I think I have made) no enemies across campus.
  • I have given Ramen noodles away as a game show prize.
  • I've been bowling three times, played mini golf once, was a game show judge once on accident, gone out to eat numerous times, and build dance decorations all as part of my job.
  • I started several new initiatives while leaving a few others behind.
  • I have learned about politics and played the game, if I do say so myself, pretty darn well.
  • I have made an impact while remaining completely true to myself and my faith.
  • I've laughed more than I've cried.

And with all that in one year, who can ask for more? Alright, it's back to work for me. Of all the things I have mastered this year, staying on top of my voicemails is not one of them...I guess that's what I'll be doing the rest of today.

No comments: