Friday, February 12, 2010

Insanely Profane

I simply cannot comprehend the value of profanity in American culture today. It astounds me to listen to and witness the horrid things that make their way out of young peoples' mouths, onto pages, into emails. I cannot get beyond it.

Language, as we know it, has been railroaded by words that lack all context and meaning in today's society. Foul words have become the replacement for what once was the um's, err's, and ahh's of our speaking. And adjectives have been reduced to a few four letter words that somehow cover every feeling, situation, or emotion known to us. I have several issues with this. In a language with an estimated quarter of a million distinct and unique words to choose from, how have we reduced ourselves to about six that cover most everything? Where is the expression in that? Where is the beauty? And to take about six words and render them so utterly meaningless that they cover so much while at the same time meaning the equivalent of "um" seems a travesty in itself, as if the foul words would perhaps be less ugly or horrendous if they had kept some original context or meaning.

And let's discuss for a moment the level of intelligence one must be reduced to to use so few of the so many word options there are. A great wealth of vocabulary certainly can only indicate a higher level of intelligence than a meager one. There are just so many words...

The flagrant use of so few words in such broad context certainly bothers me in itself, but this is definitely not the bothersome issue on which I choose to dwell. For there is, indeed, a much deeper and harsher issue that I have with profanity. We are commanded not to use it. Our very Creator has told us that it is wrong. Here it is, as plain as day: "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain." (Exodus 20:7). Oh, how many take these words too lightly; how many ignore this command. Terms like "God," "Jesus," and "Lord," are not meant to be thrown around so lightly! Jewish culture of the Old Testament had names for God that were not even uttered because they were thought to be so sacred and so holy. It is, after all, the name of God.

This certainly does not cover all foul language, but perhaps only the worst and most overlooked of the fouls. But certainly there is some weight to be held in the argument for not using other words as well. For instance, the word "damn" originates from "condemnation," which, quite officially can only be left to the ultimate Judge of the universe. We just don't have the power to condemn anything. By using this term, we are calling ourselves greater than or equal to God. How terrible a thought that I might assume myself, even for a moment, greater than or equal to God.

Some say, "It's just a habit that I've picked up. I can't control it." And I would argue that that is simply Satan in your ear. True, it is a habit. And habits can be hard to break. But from one who once hopped on the bad-mouth bandwagon, habits can be broken. I can remember being in sixth grade, sitting on the playground at recess, and yelling profanities and younger kids because it got the attention of the "cool crowd." From that moment until sometime in college, I threw profanity around like it was candy at a parade (except at home, of course, because of a certain childhood incident with a wooden spoon as a consequence).

I was convicted of my foul mouth sometime early on in college. I can't remember quite when or how, but I knew in my heart that it was wrong and hurtful to my loving Father. After years of practice, it is now a shock to my system if a foul word even enters my thoughts, let alone exits my mouth. This is not to promote any sort of holier-than-thou mentality, or encourage everyone to look my way in awe. No. It's just to show that it can be done. And it needs to be done. It is commanded of us.

Do not let Satan dominate your words. Every foul word is a glimmer of hope to the one that can't win. Clear them out of your system. Remind Satan where he stands. And as a bonus, sound more intelligent. And most importantly, you'll honor God.

No comments: