Saturday, February 27, 2010

Haven't Won Yet

Well, it's 12:44 am, and I'm sitting in the rec. center with 28 or so social Greek students, fighting to stay awake as a good example advisor for them, but my heart is a little heavier now than at 4:00 pm. Some of it may just be exhaustion, but some, I feel, it a slight feeling of failure. 

I have worked with the Greek system for over a year and a half, and I certainly have learned a lot...I mean, a lot, in that time. But I still have not found the secret to getting through to them. As of right now, there should be approximately 80 students, and at least nine active organizations, all represented, and actively involved in an athletic event tournament affectionately known as the Greek Olympics. But, as I said, I'm sitting with about 28, nearly all of which are just sitting around.

To make matters worse, most of those that are hear are doing two things that I most certainly do not like: 1) complaining, and 2) talking nasty about each other. First of all, please do not whine that you are tired. You are young, vibrant college students, who, if not given this event as a requirement, would most certainly still be partying, watching tv, or otherwise. I am old(er), and I worked a whole day in my office before I even got here. If I can stay awake, certainly you can. 

But the greater weight on my heart is the negativity and sheer nastiness that resides in the space between each organization (or most organizations). Please tell me what the point is? How can we be so pointlessly cruel and ill intentioned when dealing with each other? Have we not learned that we are only as strong as the parts of the whole? Wouldn't this night be more fun if we tried being uplifting to each other rather than knocking each other down? Wouldn't life in general be a little easier and more fun with this mindset? 

So, whether just tired or truly burdened by this, I sit alone tonight, waiting for 4:00 am to roll around, trying not to let tears fall over how far I have yet to fight this fight for these students to come even close to winning. If only they knew how often I prayed for them...

No comments: