Sunday, March 13, 2011

Things I don't not believe

This morning in church, our pastor did something that in six years, I had never seen anything close to. He started the service sitting down in a chair on the stage holding a wireless microphone. He let us know that he had no notes for this morning, no sermon prepared. He explained that in recent months the Spirit of God had been using him in ways he couldn't explain or control. His body sometimes moved without explanation or desire to do so, he could feel power and pain and healing passing to and through him. 

As he spoke, his body began to move in bizarre manners, going from sitting to standing, to tip-toes, to arched. Men of the church went up to assist him to be sure he didn't fall. He went from standing to the ground, face down, back to standing and arched. And then when it was over, he went and sat back down. 

I didn't know what to feel. I know I believe that the Spirit can move in the very ways I witnessed this morning, but that doesn't keep me from feeling confused, skeptical. And the pastor urged us to check his words and actions against scripture, of which I'm quite sure I will find no conflict. I really do believe this stuff can happen. I don't not believe any of itI believe that people can speak in tongues, heal others, hear words directly from God; I believe in the presence of demons and angels, spiritual warfare... So why went it actually happens, do I doubt, shy away, feel skeptical? 
I've never seen anything quite like what I saw today. And my guess is that the guests I brought to church this morning will not opt to return with me anytime soon. 

No comments: