Thursday, May 19, 2011

It all seems a little silly.

Last night, a few friends gathered in my backyard with a single purpose: plant my garden. I didn't need the help necessarily, but it just seemed like it could be way more fun with others around. It had been a pretty drizzly day, and the evening wasn't particularly pleasant, filled with intermittent sprinkles, cool air, and lots of bats as the sun went down. There was even a few frantic-ish moments toward the end of the night, trying to find all of the tools in the grass, staple the last of the fence corners tight, and gather all of the seed packets strewn all over the yard. 

When it was all said and done, cucumber seeds, summer squash seeds, peas, six rows of green beans, 200 or so onion sets, four rows of carrots, four tomato plants, and six pepper plants made it into the ground. Climbing fences and bunny fences were secured. It was, if I do say so myself, a pretty valiant effort for a few soggy evening hours of work. All that's left is herbs and lettuces in pots and marigolds around the veggies, and a lone hasta that needs a home somewhere. 

I suppose it all seems a little silly to outsiders looking in. Heck, sometimes it seems a little silly to me. Gardens are a lot of work. And they'll produce more food than I will be able to figure out how to store or consume. This little project will occupy my entire summer, every free moment. I will curse at the weeds and creeping charlie trying to overtake my plants. And I will curse when too many veggies come up at once. Okay, I probably won't really curse as that's not my usual practice. But regardless of the silliness, there's still something nearly intoxicating about the idea and even the practice of gardening. I just love it. Regardless of the endless hours spent babying along seedlings since early March, raking grass clods out of the new plot, dragging tools in and out of the garage and shed, planting, weeding, harvesting, cleaning up, there's just something about gardening that feels good. And it's not just a solo project. I mean, sure, it could be, but it's way more fun when it's shared. And frankly, I think that's the main reason why I'm growing so darn much - just to share it with others.

So, cheers to the silliness of gardening and all that comes with it! And a big thanks to the friends who have already taken part in sharing and who will share in it in the future!

No comments: