Monday, February 25, 2013

I'm glad I didn't know you then.

As we sit around the living room at Derrick's parents' house, the conversation turns to work. It usually does with three of us working at the same institution. Talk casually turns to history, great bosses, and personal experiences throughout our short history at UD. A flood of memories come rushing through my brain as we talk, and in my usual far-too-candid way, I recount memories of a different time, a different me when I was younger, louder, bolder, and I was sure "right-er". Memories of me yelling at coworkers, of slammed doors and planned escape routes, of plots of hostile takeovers. These stories came forth as if I was reading a fiction novel aloud. 

"I think I'm glad I didn't know you then," she says. Annalee always has a way with honest words. Then, with a little more reflection she added, "It's sort of amazing that you didn't get fired." 

It is sort of amazing. The department was in turmoil, relationships were frayed, we were all overworked, under-appreciated, and dealing with more stress that any one year should throw at you. And in the middle of it all, there I was. Yelling, throwing fits, slamming doors, sneaking around, deliberately disobeying. I played the newbie card a lot ("I didn't know. I'm new still."). I played the arrogance card a lot ("I'm right, you're wrong. Deal with it."). Looking back, I wonder who that person was. Where did she come from? How did she get that way? 

Times have changed. People have come and gone. And somehow, five years later, I'm still here. And somehow, I've changed. In the growing up and the growing old, I have not completely lost my fire, and the propensity for the occasional tantrum still lives in my belly. I have not completely grown wise, as the shoulder angel and demon still whisper arguments of proper behavior and decisions in my ears. I have not completely figured it all out yet. In fact, perhaps the opposite has happened - the older I get, the less sure I am about how I right I might be. 

I look back on many a chicken scratch tucked away in old notebooks, unpublished blog entries still in draft form hidden from view, and the memories of what seems now like a former existence altogether. And one theme sticks out. Grace. Oh the grace of patient coworkers, of caring bosses, of family and friends around me. I could have been beaten into submission, snuffed out of power and privilege, left to learn lessons on my own in the cold corners of the harsh world. But I wasn't. Somehow, I was nurtured. I was cared for. I was encouraged. I was given second (and third and fourth) chances. 

Part of me wants to erase the ugly bit of personal history. Part of me wants to sweep it under a rug or hide it in a dark closet. I wish it wouldn't have happened that way. "I'm glad I didn't know you then," cuts to a person's innermost parts because I can't separate the Lindsey of then with the Lindsey of now. But God's grace is lavishly evident in my life, shown through the people all around me, through the second chances, through the growing, and forgiveness, and relationships, and joy. Without the past as it was, I can't exist as I am. And with that knowledge, I can humbly own my history, even though it wasn't pretty or pleasant, because without it God might not have started growing me. And grow me He has, and is, and will. I bear His image, though imperfectly, and mostly through the lens of grace, and through the growth that only a good and loving God can provide.

No comments: