Monday, March 12, 2007

Feeling a Little Savage

One of my favorite types of dining, a fairly new concept, is the carside-to-go of a few smart and delicious restaurants. This travel season, I have had more carside meals than ever before. Typically, I have had decent luck with the services, however, there have been a few mishaps. Once, a few weeks back, I ordered from an Applebee's, but after I placed my order, I couldn't find the place. I was almost a half an hour late, and my food was beyond just cooled off. But tonight was the worst luck of all when it comes to this usually amazing service.

The food: delicious; the service: prompt; the silverware: ? Well, there wasn't any. Now, perhaps I was expected to request them, but I don't recall ever having to do this before. So, I didn't ask for any while on the phone. And I didn't check for any until back safely in my hotel room. After realizing the mistake, I had a few different options: go all the way back to Applebee's...well, that was out right away; go down to the front desk or the hotel lounge and ask for some...well, this one was definitely feasible, but the food was so hot and smelled amazing....so nah; eat. This option won me over because I was so darn hungry, and once you get a whiff of sirloin, garlic mashed potatoes, fresh steamed broccoli. I couldn't wait any longer.

Ok, so it was a little savage to say the least. But what's a hungry girl to do? I sure did scoop individual fingers full of mashed potatoes from plastic dish to drooling lips. And I sure did pick up that entire nine ounce stake, dripping with natural juices, and ate it without setting it back down once. It was, needless to say, a delicious but messy meal.

Moral of the story: ask for silverware, but if you forget, improvise.

No comments: