Monday, March 19, 2007

Green Beer, Goose Talk, Boom!

The past few days have been some very exciting ones.

As you know, Saturday was St. Patrick's Day. Now I've never been big into this holiday, being neither Irish or Irish history savvy, but I was invited to a parade this year, so I happily attended. When invited by my friend Alisha, whom I will lovingly refer to as 'Smith, you know that an adventure will probably ensue. 'Smith's grandma, mom, and cousin all came along. We went to a soul food joint in Mad-town. Soul food? Really? Five white women come bustin' into a soul food place to have a little lunch... Now, I love soul food as much as the other guy, but how weird must that have looked? Anyway, after some good eats, and some great coffee, we watched a nifty little parade decked fully in green and all the accompanies St. Patrick's Day. (Oh, and we didn't get the chance to enjoy any green beer, but that was alright with me.)

After gathering minimal amounts of candy, 'Smith and I took off for home, but along the way we took a detour to Governor Dodge State Park. It was a cool day, but the sun was warm, and I had been itching to get outside and experience some adventure for a few weeks already. At first, 'Smith wasn't really into it, but I drug her out on a path or two, and then the mood hit her, and we were off. We headed for a rocky, dare I say mountainous, peak that overlooked the thinly frozen lake. We sat there on that peak for probably an hour or more. While we were there, two geese came to check us out. It turns out that goose wings make a horrendous amount of noise when flapping. Something like a baseball card in bike spokes. Who knew? Anyway, watching geese interact became quite comical and entertaining.

Sunday was rather uneventful, church, choir, babysitting...nothing too noteworthy.

But today, oh Monday...I was going about my business, entering a school's main doors. There seemed to be a bit of commotion, but nothing too out of the ordinary. The lady at the front desk promptly stated, "I cannot let any visitors in at this time." Um...what? I need to just walk across the hall to the guidance office...this is weird. "May I ask..." "Bomb threat. We've had a bomb threat, and we're evacuating the building." That was all I needed to hear. I turned around, and walked at a near sprint to my car, got in, and peeled my way right out of that parking lot. Now, as far as I know, the school did not blow up, and no bomb was found, but still. Holy crap.

No comments: