Friday, April 06, 2007

Easter, Really?

Is anyone else having a hard time believing that this weekend is Easter already? There are certain holidays and markers throughout the year that I typically use to follow time, perhaps in an effort to slow it down, and Easter is typically one of them.

Now, last year, my family graciously came to Platteville for Easter so that I could both sing in the church choir and spend Easter dinner with them. And, as much as I enjoyed spending that time, after it was all said and done, I felt a strange guilt/sadness that at first I couldn't really explain. As it turns out, that feeling was one of tradition lost. For twenty two years, or at least as long as I could remember, Easter had been exactly the same. Easter baskets filled with bad-for-your-teeth goodies, Sunday morning church service, then a feast at Aunt Myra's house with the whole family. And let's not forget the egg hunt that took place even after we were too old to enjoy it.

There was just something special about that time as a family, and having something, as trivial as it was, that stood the test of time. Now, I would imagine that this life-long tradition will not be one that holds for too many more years as we all grow up, and our families grow bigger, but for now, there's nothing better than the status quo, and I could not be more excited about going home, even for a day.

I know I say this all the time, but this weekend, it couldn't seem more true, that time goes by faster and faster every year that you're alive. And, sitting here at just below the quarter-century mark, it's hard to believe that life could go any faster. To anyone older than I: How in the world do you do it? How do you hold on to just enough time to accomplish life?

Although I could continue this reminiscence about the pace of life, for now I will get back to work. Life is calling, and who am I to ignore the call? Enjoy your Easter weekend, cherish your family, and live!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always say that the only time that time goes by slowly is when things are going badly-then time can stand still. Enjoy life and don't miss a thing. Love Dad.