Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Lost Year

It seems that every year at about this time, I tend to reflect on the year that has passed, once again, in a blur. There is just something about watching the landscape change so drastically that gets a person thinking about all of the changes in their own lives. The fields turn to a golden glow and quickly disappear through harvest. Trees turn a fiery red and yellow, and even smells of the season tell you change is on the way.

As I evaluate the year that has so quickly passed away, I honestly wonder what has happened. For the past few years, if you look back into old blog posts, journal entries, or conversations with loved ones, I have contemplated if life could go any faster. With every year that I grow older, time seems to only progress faster. But this year seems to have disappeared completely from the history books. Never have I experienced so much and remembered so little.

In the last year, I learned how to travel in Chicago, became a girlfriend, switched jobs, bought and put ten thousand miles on a new car, invested my money, experienced Shakespeare, planned an orientation and a homecoming, and worked myself crazy and exhausted. And I'm sure that so much more has happened besides this random sampling, but I'm not sure I can honestly remember it.

All of this insanity and breakneck pace begs the question, When does life slow down? When do you we truly get to stop and smell the roses or even stop to see them? I look ahead to the future and only see more of the same chaos that has been my life this year and wonder if I'll ever really savor it, enjoy it. I want to breathe life in deep and revel in the feeling of it in my lungs. I want to nourish the great loves of my life and let them well up in my soul to feel full and content. Where do I find that in the complexity of life? In the busyness? I know it is there, it surely must be. But this year, although wonderful and full of memories to enjoy, was almost lost in the shuffle of life.

I refuse to lose any more years. I want vivid years full of embraced joys not rushed requirements. I want a full heart not a full schedule. Next year at this time, I will not write another "lost year" post. Life is so short, a fleeting moment. I will live a life that is full of warmth, memories, joys, and loves.

Breathe life deep into your lungs and revel in the feeling of it in your lungs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just remember, this year you have had alot of beginnings and alot of ends. Keep pushing forward but try to savor each day. Stop and take a big breath even if for just a moment and know that God is guiding your every move. I pray that He brings you balance in your life and trust that He will!

Love,
MOM