Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Unapologetically Optimistic

So, at work the other day, we had this professional development discussion revolving around three articles the president of the university had written throughout different points of the school developing in the last ten years. It was all about the mission and vision of the university and how we need to use that as our guiding statement(s) to reach the better, brighter future in which we are constantly striving.

Some had great points to point out, and some had questions to be questioning of, but some found areas to pick at, finding contradiction and maybe even controversy. I really have no problem with that. In fact, I found the whole conversation to be quite enlightening. After the formal conversation, I was still curious, so I roamed around the office, as I usually do, just continuing the conversations from where they had left off. I talked to those that contributed about as much as I did (which was nil) to see how they felt about the talk. And to my dismay, many were unhappy with the result. Some were frustrated, for others it was above their heads, others, perhaps, were just bored with it.

That was a very lengthy introduction for me to get to the main point. For me, I enjoyed the very thought of having a conversation about a Presbyterian, or Reformed, outlook and mission for our work. For me, I translate that to mean, I was created to do the work that I am doing. I was created to touch students' lives, to impact them directly, and hopefully to guide them toward wanting more for themselves...to want to do what they were created to do. That is, indeed, my very life goal, my mission on earth, and in my job, and in my personal life, and in my down time...it is who I strive to be.

The point was made, in frustration I believe, that "we're not there yet...we're not even close." But I would argue, doesn't it matter that we're striving to get there? Isn't there some positive motivation just knowing we're talking about it? True, we're not there yet. I've seen more road blocks and stumbling stones left in my path since I go here than in anything else that I've ever done. And I'm sure others see it the same way in what they do. But I'm not sure that the point is that it is easy. The point is, we're working toward something that's bigger than ourselves. And that is never easy.

The follow up conversation is one I have had many times with many leaders and passionate people. It was about the "us" versus "them." What I mean is, there are those of us that truly care, that work our hind ends off to do a little good, to try to make our impact on others in a positive way. And then there are them, those that are in it to get the paycheck, to do a job, and to go home. There are those of us that put in extra time, shed a few extra tears, and say a few extra prayers. And then there are those that show up late, leave early, and are rarely fruitful in their pursuits. For those that are the "us," life is not easy. It is a minefield that you are forced to clear with a hammer. It is a constant battle trying to create buy-in from others to jump on the hardworking bandwagon just because its good. It is a streak of insanity that won't let us quit, or slow down, or even take a breath. Often times people like "us" struggle with wanting to give up, desiring to be one of "them" because it is clearly easier and more peaceful in the here-and-now. But the moment we give up, the very instant we stop fighting, working, and caring, is the moment we become one of "them."

For a very short time, I became one of "them" at my old job. I became jaded, foul, and harbored a great amount of bitterness toward everything. I became lazy, complacent, and selfish. And I began to hate who I was. It wasn't self-rewarding, in fact, nothing about it felt good. I quit that job as soon as I could to remove myself from the situation and the people who had caused me to join "them," but the change actually had to come from within me, not from a change in my circumstances. I quickly came to find out that there are both teams everywhere, and "they" are always the bigger team. The fight will always be there to fight.

Knowing that, one of two things could happen. I could feel defeated, slump my shoulders, and convince myself that it is simply not worth fighting for... Or, I could be unapologetically optimistic, always looking at the brighter side, knowing that even if I am the only one fighting for "us," I am making a difference. I am changing people's lives. I choose the latter option. And I urge you, don't give up! Keep fighting! "They" can't win as long as "we" never give up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, this post will get me through the rest of Friday afternoon. :)

LK said...

You're welcome, Anonymous. :)