Sunday, November 16, 2008

Brokenness

Today's sermon was extremely timely (it can be found here). In fact, many things have been timely in my life right now...

The past few months have been filled with burdens, hardship, and an overwhelming sense of there just being too much to deal with. I felt in constant battle with myself trying to figure out life and how to balance everything. I had built up frustrations and all sorts emotions that I felt I was losing control of. What was I doing wrong? Life didn't seem this hard before. Not only was I frustrated with myself, I was beginning to get angry with God. God, why are you doing this to me? Can't you make it better?

But God never promised an easy life with Him. In fact, He let us know up front that this life would be full of trials, hardship, and struggles. But why? 2 Corinthians 4:7 spells it out pretty simply, "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us." We are vessels easily broken to show that it is God and not us. We are completely and utterly dependent upon God.

So, I have been reminded today that the brokenness that I have felt, and others have plainly noticed, has not been in vain. It was a time to be used as a reminder, not only for me, but for others, that God needs to be in control. And, frankly, I'm thankful for the reminder.

No comments: