Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Fight

I wanted to run away. I wanted to yell, "No! Stop! Don't go on. I'll still pay you for the show if you just quit now." He wasn't funny. My heart was breaking as he continued on stage. What are we teaching?

Tonight's comedian on campus was, as you can imagine, somewhat less than wholesome, and I was embarrassed and crushed that that's what we ask our students to come and enjoy. All of his jokes were about sex, sexuality, appearance, race...every nasty and foul word in the book was said, even after I asked that he not use one specific foul word. We paid money for this? I am sickened.

On the drive home tonight, I couldn't help but reflect on how much damage had been done. We actually offered credit for a class for students to come to this garbage. I feel so ashamed.

As of late, I have felt more and more called into the position I have been placed. I was called to the University of Dubuque to offer what God has given me to change the world one student at a time. I have high expectations of students and try to teach them what God has taught me. It is a daily fight to get through to students who may or may not have ever heard the Word of God. And so quickly, so easily, it feels as if it has all come undone. All the effort, all of the prayers, all of the lessons. One guy can come and just seemingly undo it all.

The good news in all of this, however, is that Satan's power through this nasty little comedian is, at best, fleeting. God's power in these students' lives is eternal. So, although I am embarrased and discouraged tonight, tomorrow I come back fighting the cause that God created me to fight....because I know He can win. He has already won.

No comments: