Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Something's Missing

Lately work has been a little hairy. Not my area, per say, but there have been rough and rocky patches that I sure wish I could eliminate. But what's the difference between those that are struggling with rocky patches at work and those who are not? Students who are succeeding and those who are not? Offices that are thriving and those that certainly aren't? What's the missing link?

I've been telling my students that what I'm really looking for in a leader is enthusiasm. And although this may be true, I don't know that it's the missing link. I mean, it is so important to have an excitement and enthusiasm about what you do, and a lot of things will follow once enthusiasm is there, but I think there's something deeper than that.

And what makes some offices or departments or individuals angry, what makes them fail dastardly at projects, what compels them to become liars or cheaters?

I have come to the determination that what is missing, as ridiculous as it may sound, is love. Think about it. If a person truly, deeply loves another, do they lie to them, or cheat, or hate, or stay angry? Rather you want to take care of them, do your best for them, show them compassion, and fight for them.

And if a true love is developed for what you do, can you not apply similar principles?

I have fallen in love with where I am right now. And the last thing I want is to do wrong by it. So all the things that need to flow next do: enthusiasm, excitement, passion, honesty, wanting to do my best, wanting to fight for my cause...relentless love brings about all these things.

So, as I grow into this place that I love, I find myself praying ever more fervently to bring love to this place. Bring love to the employees, the students, the programs, the administration. And when its true, there will be a noticeable, un-ignorable difference. I long for that day and pray hard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lindsey, your post reminds me of this quote I recently came across. "Enthusiasm is the greatest asset in the world. It beats money and power and influence."
--Henry Chester
It's my new favorite!!

Have a good day. Hope all is well.