Monday, September 14, 2009

Human Connection

I've been thinking a lot lately about the idea of human connections. Each of us has a heart that desires human connection. We've been giving that heart from God who also desires a connection with us. For some, making connections is easy, even natural. They're either involved in everything, are social butterflies, or just know how to reach out to the close few in their lives. For others, connection is a longing that can't seem to be quenched or fulfilled as they strive to meet others or be involved but feel out of their element or uncomfortable.

What creates a "good" connection? What makes it last? Undoubtedly there is a good deal of work involved - effort to maintain connection, dig deeper in conversation, become more vulnerable and open while establishing trust. Work indeed. And a certain amount of chemistry is probably also required. There's only so much connection that can be made over common interests or small talk alone. And the ability to evolve through time, flex and change as each person does the same.

What happens when a connection goes "bad"? Can people change too much to maintain a connection? Can one person or the other give up or stop putting in effort? Sure. Does God remove connections in our lives similarly to when He provides them to us? But what else? Is there more?

I have to imagine that the longing we have in our hearts for true, real, meaningful connection, connection that is honest and open, is perhaps the longing that God feels when we turn away from Him. We were, after all, made in the image of God, a reflection of Him.

I know my life is not lacking in connections - I have friends that I see on a fairly regular basis, I make new connections pretty well, I have mentors and colleagues that I communicate with, and I have a close family network. But my heart still yearns for deep and lasting connections, connections with friends that I've lost touch with or new connections. It is, most likely, for sheer lack of effort that I've been left longing, but a part of me can't help but wonder about the chemistry. God appoints people to our lives sometimes, and sometimes exactly when we need them, but is there a time when God does not provide those connections or allows us to live without them for a time?

Either way, I have a desire for connections, for accountablility, for someone of like mind and heart, for someone to be vulnerable and real with without judgements. I'm praying for what that looks like for me and for those that I may connect with, for guidance of how to establish connections and for a bravery to step out and take action with the faith that God will provide what is best for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Just want to compliment you on your ohh so insightful writing. Your blog a while back on 'Moonlight' and this current blog really moved me.

I too have had countless friends over the years, some only briefly and others lifelong. The chemistry aspect is so true. My Best Friend must have been hand-picked by God for me, because we know each other like a book and we just mesh so well. He unfortunately is now several states away, and he will always be my best friend, but I too am looking to find that chemistry with new friends closer. The 'You look at each other and just start giggling because you both are thinking the same thing', that kind of relationship. I wish you the best in your search and walk : )

Anyhow, please forgive my ramblings.
Again, you write so well, your heart is with Jesus and it genuinely shows. Thank you for sharing with all of us!

God Bless

Alan : )