Saturday, January 01, 2011

Living into the Unexpected

Happy 2011! The new year has officially been rung in, and although watching the ball drop on TV is like an episode of the Twilight Zone (oh the music and the wardrobe selections...how out of touch with current culture I am), it was festive and lighthearted all around with good friends. 

I've reflected already about the many blessings of 2010 as well as some of my hopes and desires for 2011, but it has really struck me today that my heart should prepare for one main thing this year: the unexpected. What does that mean, you may ask. But the honest answer is that I don't really know. I suppose that's what makes the unexpected unexpected. 

I want to take joy in unexpected things, big and small, significant and insignificant. Tonight, I drove home from Platteville and it started to snow. I didn't think it was supposed to snow tonight. It was so beautiful! As I drove through town, I admired the floating flakes under every single street lamp. Insignificant, but enjoyable. I want to soak up these unexpected moments. And I can only imagine what types of unexpected significant things God may have in store for me.

So, 2011, here I come. Bring on your unexpected. I will show you my joy. Whatever God has in store, I'm excited to receive it.

No comments: