Wednesday, January 05, 2011

The Power of Kindness

As I continue to ponder kindness, I am constantly keeping an eye out for resources that help me wrap my brain around the idea. The other day, I stumbled upon a short video clip from the local newspaper. Dubuque's First Citizen this year, apparently known well for her kindness, responded to the interviewer's question, "...what is the power of kindness?"


I'm not sure I liked her answer all that much. She seems like a very kind woman, and I don't want this to feel like any sort of award-recipient bashing, but her response was that the power of kindness lies in the ability of each of us to display it. Is there really power in that? Certainly there is some semblance of influence in it, just by the logic of critical mass. If a large number of people choose to be kind, then it will spread to others, influencing them to also be kind. 

But what is the power of kindness? What can kindness do? Kindness disarms. It can take a defensive, hurt individual and calm them, easing the tension and hurt. You've seen it happen, yes? A simple hand on a shoulder, a come-let's-talk-about-it look or gesture, a gift of apology...all disarming. Kindness heals. Broken hearts can be mended by kindness. Think of the times you were most hurt and how you moved on. What did it take? A talk with a friend or mentor? A hug? A gift? A letter written from the heart? These things heal us, and they are brought forth through genuine kindness. I'd say these things are powerful indeed. 

Where does kindness stem from? Where do its roots lie? What is the origin of kindness? Next time...

No comments: