Sunday, January 23, 2011

Kind of Strange

You know, I find it kind of strange that some days I have endless things to say, opinions to share, lessons to teach...And some days, nothing. The last few weeks, my head and heart have been full. There has been much to process, and usually that's what you see falling onto these pages...reflection and processing. But for some reason, despite feeling like I have plenty to process, I've felt like maybe I should just remain quiet for a while. 

So, weeks have gone by without so much as a peep here about a recent fantastic first date, a wonderful four-week sermon series at church from Ephesians, an extremely successful j-term at UD, an opportunity to invite my neighbors to church...so many wonderful, unexpected things. Why haven't I shared anything?

I wonder if perhaps I'm suppose to spend more time just listening. I like to think I'm a good listener, but sometimes I'm not so sure. I feel like maybe some days I dominate conversations all around me...with friends, with mentors, with God. As if my stories are somehow more important, more significant. But perhaps now, when so many things are going on in my life, when there are questions, things to get excited about, things to be frustrated about...all at once, now it is of utmost importance to stop and listen. Pray. Listen. Sit quietly. Listen.

1 comment:

Joyce Boike said...

You've always been a wonderful listener...and I love that about you. I've been thinking about my listening skills a lot lately, too. I think it's something we all have to work on.