Thursday, February 10, 2011

What I believe about the Bible...

I am eyeball deep in conversation right now. The topic? What exactly do you believe about the Bible? And believe it or not, that is a narrowed topic from where we started. I posed the following questions, and I feel that I should do my diligent best to answer the same at least: Think on what you know of the Bible. Have you ever read any of it? Do you have any interest in reading it now? What do you believe about the book if anything? Does the book or has it ever impacted your life in any way? 

I will be honest and admit that I have never read the whole Bible. I've never tried to read it cover to cover. I have been extremely unsuccessful at yearly reading plans and even any sort of daily or weekly devotionals. I find myself reading the Bible at random times like early in the morning when I first arrive at my office or when I'm in the middle of a thousand project list. But I find myself consulting the Word frequently for a quick verse reference or to remind myself of a story.

Some of my favorite books of the Bible include the letters to the Philippians, Ephesians, Colossians, Corinthians, Thessalonians, Galatians...They are letters, like something I would maybe write, to people, churches, loved ones on all sorts of topics - family, church business, teaching, reminders of what's right and wrong in Christian communities, helpful hints on how to pray, love, serve better...

What do I believe about the Bible? I believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God. Why do I believe that? Well, the Bible says so. For skeptics, that's the equivalent of saying that every word of a sports magazine is true because it says so somewhere in the pages. Well, I'm not a biblical scholar, but there are a few things I know anyway. First, not only does the Bible identify itself as the inspired word of God, but it does so repeatedly. Different authors from different periods of time all reiterate the same fact. This stuff comes from God. Now, I will admit that I'm not completely 100% sure what is meant by "inspired word of God." Does that mean that God whispered in authors' ears the exact words they should write? Does it mean that God actually emblazoned it on pages Himself? Does it mean once it was written He reviewed, edited, and approved? Was it merely selected by God? I guess I'm not sure. But no matter, it comes from God.

I also believe that the Bible is not a fairytale. It's a history book, a chronology of the work of God from creation to a while after Jesus lived his life out on earth. Does that mean that I think each and every story should be taken completely literally? I don't think so. Some stories and books in the Bible call us to use our sanctified imaginations. And some stories are just meant to not quite be figured out. The creation story comes to mind here. Was the world created in a literal six days followed by a literal day of rest? Perhaps. But doesn't it say something in the Bible about a thousand years being like a moment for God? Does it effect my view of the creation story? No. God created the earth from nothing into something with His hands, His creativity, and His love. That's enough for me.

Has the Bible impacted my life in any way? Ha, oh my yes. As a little girl, I grew up in Sunday school classes learning the fantastic old testament stories that taught me to be brave, to love others, to obey my parents, that God is always with me, that He listens to my prayers... Growing and maturing, the Bible taught me right and wrong, how to deal with others, how to develop relationships, what forgiveness means, oh so many things. And I know the Bible to be a tool to build and strengthen my relationship with God. It's His heart on paper. It shows me what He loves, what He hates, what He desires for me and all of His creation. The more I spend time in the word, the more I learn the heart of God. The more I learn the heart of God, the more I love what He loves, hate what He hates, desire what He desires... The impact of the Bible on my life is simply immeasurable.

I feel like I could write for days on what I believe about the Bible because it's not simple; it's complex and full of questions and ponderings. The Bible has been a part of my whole life, and it seems so inadequate to boil it down to just a few paragraphs. But there you have at least a start, a few thoughts to spur on a few thousand more.

No comments: