Wednesday, February 23, 2011

And Christians are just like, "Oh well..."

I recently posted about a conversation with a friend in which I had the chance to share the gospel with a friend. I've been playing bits and pieces of that conversation back in my mind ever since, mainly just because of the uniqueness of the situation and conversation. 

But one of the things that really has stuck with me was when my friend said something to the effect of: "I just can't buy that...that God would only accept a few people and not others that don't believe in Jesus. That would mean most of my family, 90% of my friends, and even religious leaders of the world. What about the people that are born in the Middle East and never have the opportunity to even hear about Jesus? And Christians look around, shrug their shoulders, and are just like, 'Oh well.'"

My response was probably not just exactly square, but I think I said something about God's view of justice and fairness versus our own. But perhaps I should have stressed the thousands of missionaries being supported by churches and families all over the world, the outreach efforts of local churches through countless ministries (homelessness services, medical clinics, home repairs...). Or maybe I should have made known how much a conversation like the one we were in the middle of broke my heart at some level that doesn't even have words to express it. "Oh well"? It's not an "oh well" issue. It's an issue of life and death. Is that what non-Christians really think when they look into the life of a Christian? "Oh well"? What a limited and broken view, a world-tainted view.

Now, please don't miss understand. There are indeed Christians that hold an "Oh well" attitude. There are those that choose to ignore the world, their friends, their family that do not accept Jesus' gift. And there are those that find safety hiding out in their Jesus huddles, refusing to reach out, finding it easier to just praise God together alone. And surely the world sees this...well, obviously it does based on my conversation with one friend that was not afraid to say it so boldly. That in and of itself fills me with some sort of call to action. I know I'll never be able to make up for a whole group of Christians refusing to love like Jesus, but certainly I can do all I can to be the living, breathing, moving, acting presence of God in the world. And I hope that non-Christians in my little sphere of influence see that, feel it, understand it. 

I do not accept an "Oh well" attitude in my life. I want to live as a pure reflection of Jesus to those around me so that there is no question.

No comments: