Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Catching Up

Okay, so it's been a few months. But please don't judge! I've written more words in the last few months than I have in maybe the last few years. And although academic writing is nothing like my usual style, it seems that perhaps in my world, there is a maximum word cap per month. This term, I've written several fairly significant works in my grad program that I'm really proud of, but it seems to have left me a little quiet on the reflection side of life.

So what's been happening in my life these days anyway?

Well, there's the whole grad school thing. I love being back in school. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's been a challenge. I've lost out on sleep, social time, work time...but I've gained a new network of professionals from around Wisconsin, confidence, and the small start to a body of my own academic/professional writing. It's a little hard/great to believe that I'm officially 1/6th complete with my doctoral degree. It's just such an amazing blessing to even have the opportunity to be in school. Don't tell anyone, but I'm secretly more than a little excited to get started on my dissertation - the research, the literature, the joy!

In work, things are going so very well, too! Danielle and I are reinventing New Student Orientation one department at a time. At some point maybe I'll fill you in on all the details, but it's going to be great!

I got the chance to sing in several different Christmas performances over the past few weeks. Singing is one of those things that continues to bring me great joy. This weekend I will wrap up the Christmas singing season with both a Christmas Eve and Christmas morning song. I just love that I can touch people's hearts through something that moves us all.

The last few days have been quite strange. I've fallen into a quiet little lull. I'm between classes at Edgewood. Students at UD are on break. Church rehearsals are over. Holiday parties are pretty much done. So, at about 5:00 I roll on home, make some dinner, do a few chores, watch a little TV, and then go to bed. Then I get up, go to work, go out to lunch, and go home by 5:00. No homework, no practices, no late meetings, no work to do before the morning. Very strange. But I've been lucky enough to have a few friends to fill my nights with, something that almost never happens during busier seasons. This little lull, honestly, has made me thankful for my business. I mean, spending time with friends is wonderful! But laying around on the couch the rest of the time is obnoxious. I'd much rather be researching something, writing something, getting home late and going right to bed. It just all reminds me that I have a really great life.

A few other updates: the Gala was an extremely fun party, I met a great guy who may have already found this blog so I won't write about him yet, and I'm nearly four weeks behind in my running and I'm missing it dearly. 

And that's about it. You're all caught up.

No comments: