Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Theme of 2012

I rarely set New Year's resolutions; it just seems so cliche. But every once in a while, I just get a hunch, call it intuition, call in divine intuition of something that I should focus on. Lately, I've been feeling guided toward discipline. Now don't smirk. Just because my life is, um, full, doesn't mean that I live with a great deal of discipline.

Prime examples of my general lack of discipline include the general state of my house, for one. Piles of laundry on the floors of multiple rooms, dirty counters and dishes, stacks of mail in plain sight, general bathroom nastiness.... I do not have discipline in my own home. In fact, if anyone ever came over as a surprise, they might assume that I have several small children or roommates. But no. Just my own filth. 

School is actually another great example. I, as I always have, procrastinate most projects. And although I usually claim that the pressure of the time constraint makes me perform better, that is a lie I've convinced myself of. It's just a lack of discipline.

The state of my office. Waking up late for work. Inconsistencies in workouts and healthy choices. Mowing the lawn with any regularity at all. Reading scripture. Reading anything. 

In talking with a good friend the other night, in talking about someone else's life actually, she said that lack of discipline usually doesn't just affect one area of life. It bleeds into all areas of life. So, then the opposite must also be true: discipline leads to more discipline. If I can build a few good habits intentionally, then perhaps it will follow in other areas of my life and end up as a pretty significant change. And that would be very good.

No comments: