Sunday, January 01, 2012

Actual Resolutions...why not?

Okay, so I had the hunch that I would need to add more discipline to my life this year. [Side note, when I revealed my "resolution" to the neighborhood when the inevitable topic came up at last night's party, I got a pretty expected response: "You? Discipline?" Oh, what little people know about people's lives...] But I've decided, in the spirit of discipline, that maybe I did need a few actual resolutions. Attainable ones. Ones that are good for me. So, here we go. 

1) I want to eat one fruit and one vegetable each day. 

This seems pretty simple, and for most people, is probably second nature. It's basic balanced diet science. But, in reality, I don't think I really do eat a fruit or vegetable each day. I maybe get one or the other in most days. But I would like to commit to eating one of each every day. Oh, and french fries don't count. Nor does a sprinkle of lettuce on a taco. Cheating on this is really just cheating myself out of better health. 

2) I want to log 500 miles.

I've seen a few friends publicly committing to this, and I think I can totally achieve it. Here's what I will count in my logging: running, treadmill-ing, elliptical-ing, biking, and serious walking. In case you're curious, it averages out to 1.67 miles a day. And everything else will just be bonus. Yoga, fitness classes, walking around campus...all just good things to do.

So there you have it. I've fallen victim to the cliche resolution-making tradition that so many do. Here's to discipline and new good habits in 2012!

No comments: