Friday, January 20, 2012

Normal

Every once in a great while, I get a reminder of what a "normal" person's life might look like: an unscheduled weekend with no plans, a night set aside to just watch TV, moments of tedium at work... My immediate response is almost always, "BO-RING!" What do people DO with that kind of time on their hands? How into one TV show could a personal possibly get? You mean your work looks like this every day? 

But I think I know why I usually have this reaction to many folks' "normal." I really actually view my life as "normal," and theirs as bizarre. And I am quite sure that on the other side of the coin, people think the same of me. To me, "normal" is that my only sitting still time is almost always coupled with research or writing time. "Normal" is spending 50-60 hours a week at work in a slow week. "Normal" is mixing passion projects into the tiny slivers of freedom I may find (like gardening, house renovations, cooking...). "Normal" is rarely sleeping in, even more rarely going to bed early, and never taking naps. "Normal" is cramming in time for health (like working out at least three times a week, refusing freezer-to-microwave meals, prayer, loud singing...). 

What? That doesn't sound "normal" to you? 

Yep, I know "normal." I feel "normal." And I kind of like "normal."

No comments: