Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Choices

This morning, one of my favorite traditions at UD took place: Opening Convocation. I'm not sure what it is about convocation that I adore so much, the faculty dressed in regalia for the first time in an academic year, the choir, singing hymns with students, staff, and faculty all around... 

This year, one of my favorite professors gave the address, and it was simply titled Choices. She walked the congregation through the story of Joshua ushering God's people into the promised land by first gathering them into an assembly. He urges them to reject the gods of the people around them and serve the Lord, but that either way, it was up to each person to decide. The moral of her story was that it's not just the one life-choice of accepting Christ into your heart that is the decision to be made, but rather it is the choices we make in the everyday situations we face that turn our hearts toward God and away from other gods and idols. 

Entangled in this message was the central idea that the people were set apart, selected, to come into the promised land, and we are also chosen, set apart to serve the Lord where we have been placed. But it's still a choice. A daily choice. 

The past few weeks at work have not all been exactly spotlight weeks for reminding me of my love for UD, but today, today was a reminder that stood apart in stark contrast. As I looked up at the stage, filled with faculty and administrators, looked around at the students, the staff, I was reminded that my purpose is to be right here, right now, serving this group of people in this place. God has placed a love in my heart that allows me to pursue my purpose with a reckless, tireless abandon for His glory and for the betterment of this part of His world. My life is a part of the greater narrative, the story of the world. God equips me to work and serve out of love for Him and His creation, and He uses me as a tool in His plan for restoration in His kingdom. 

"...choose this day whom you will serve...But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."  Joshua 24:15

No comments: