Monday, September 24, 2012

Faith to Move Mountains

"For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20

Some days, I feel like I'm standing at the base of the proverbial mountain discussed in the book of Matthew, shouting at the top of my lungs, "Mountain! Move! Get out of the way." And to God, "God, I believe you can move this mountain. But it's not even trembling. It's not moving, God. Why?" 

Oh, He could move that mountain. He without a doubt could pick it on up, turn it on it's tiny little peak-side, and set it down in perfect balance somewhere else as proof of His ability to do the most impossible of things. Or He could smash it into a million pieces in front of me as a testimony to His great strength and power. He could make that mountain do a jig or roll it out flat like a red carpet or part it down the middle like the Red Sea. 

Not only could God do any of these things, sometimes He indeed does. And oh, how we praise Him for the miracle He produces in front of us. And then we walk on over or around that mountain and go on with our lives. I move on in life, impressed and thankful, but perhaps otherwise unchanged. Yep, sometimes God moves mountains. But what about the times when I'm standing there shouting at that stupid mountain in legitimate faith that God can move it and He doesn't? Is He ignoring my cries? No, He knows me too well. He knows that I need to learn and grow lest I miss the miracle. So instead of just moving the mountain, He is holding out His hand and asking me to move it with Him. One stone at a time. 

So I pick up one stone. It feels heavy in my hands. But God stays beside me. I walk it off the mountain and place it on the ground. Then I go back for another. And another. And He stays by me. When I get tired and sit down for a rest, He's still there. When I get frustrated by the assignment, He doesn't give up on me. And one by one, the stones begin to come down, and with each stone, I gain strength, maybe a little more understanding. I learn to move stones and listen to God at the same time because He's stayed by my side. I keep trusting, keep learning, keep growing. And then one day, I look up and the path is clear, the mountain is gone. 

But that's not where I am today. I know that day will come. But today, I'm at the base of that big old mountain, the one I've shouted at for so long, with one cold heavy rock in my arms, knowing that this will not be easy, but God is still good. And this mountain will move. 

No comments: