Thursday, January 24, 2013

Embracing Adulthood: Coloring within the Lines

Recently I asked for some honest feedback on a project I was working on. And I got it. The feedback was, sometimes you just need to color within the lines. For those that know me well, you know that I'm not your usual perfectly colored picture in a neat and tidy coloring book. I'm more liked ripped out pages plastered all over the wall after being doused with color going every which way. Well, maybe parts of me are like that. 

Lately, I've been observing those that don't necessarily color within the lines. And I've realized something. Generally speaking, this coloring outside of the lines is not so positive. In fact, most of the time, the color that falls outside the lines is viewed as inappropriate, maybe a little crazy, a little out of line. Generally, even though not positive, I think it pretty harmless most of the time. But the thoughts that people think of those that frequent beyond the borders with their crayons are not the thoughts I want people thinking of me. 

What I've learned over the last few weeks is that there is a time and a place for everything. And knowing the difference makes one at least appear wise. Failing to know the difference creates the appearance of a fool.

In my personal life, I think it sometimes okay to act or look a slight fool. I don't love to make that a guiding principle, per se, but I think it's okay there. To giggle at something that only I think is funny. To stop dead in my path just to watch a bird go by. To be spontaneous or slightly unpredictable. All of these things are perfectly fine and perfectly outside the lines. But to blurt out thoughts in a meeting. To write an inappropriate or strange letter (in anger or even-keeled). To be the true lose cannon making unpredictable decisions. These are the professional colorings that end up outside the lines that I want desperately to avoid. My professional coloring book needs to be neat, tidy, appealing, perhaps even predictable in order to be truly wise. 

This week, I have some very important professional writing to do, and though I want to stand out, to be unique, I do not want to be foolish. So, I will create something within the lines. Not to be cookie cutter, bland, or completely usual, but to be, or at least appear to be, what I hope people see in me as a professional: wise.

No comments: