Thursday, January 24, 2013

The "Year of Go" is...Going.

I'm just about three months into the "Year of Go", and I just need to take a few minutes to ponder the following question: Is this year real? 

I just got home from 11 days in Key West, Florida, in the middle of an Iowa cold snap in January. I spent those 11 days traveling, teaching, and experiencing life with students in a subtropical location crammed full of every possible type of adventure thinkable. And although the trip wasn't perfect, it was sort of surreal. I mean, think about it. The university now only allowed me to go on an all expenses paid trip to Key West, they actually PAID me to do it! Sure, there were plenty of responsibilities. I had to teach history lessons, go running daily with the students, encourage participation and fitness, watch presentations, and help make travel arrangements, but come on. It just doesn't seem right. And though technically I agreed to go before the Year of Go began, it definitely fits into the Go theme just fine...especially because I have spring orientation day tomorrow at work followed by a drive to Madison, class on Saturday, and the rest of the weekend with Derrick. Meh, that's what the Year of Go is for, right? 

Continuing on the Go theme, this weekend you may find me cross country skiing if it snows a little more; next week begins a new semester at UD filled, undoubtedly, with surprises, long hours, and many new opportunities; and in early March you'll find me representing UD at a conference discussing vocation on college campuses around the nation. Later on in the year, I'll be juggling a few new and some old extra job responsibilities while discovering my dissertation topic, and perhaps just for some added excitement, inquiring about a new professional opportunity. Oh, and I'm planning on trying my first (and hopefully second and third) triathlon race, maybe doing another half marathon, and taking a running class.

Overwhelmed? Nah. Who needs to be overwhelmed? This Year of Go is turning out to be quite incredible. As long as I cut out stuff that wastes my time (TV is the first thing to go), keep up with adequate sleep (it's almost bedtime already!), and continue to count my blessings everyday, then there's nothing to fear, no need to panic. In this Year of Go, all I need to do is...Go!

No comments: