Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Embracing Adulthood: The Proper Reaction

Since I was able to articulate the fact that somewhere in 2012, I was able to find my adult self, I figured 2013 would be a good time to write about it. 

Today, back at work after a long holiday, I had the opportunity for an adult moment, and I seized it! I received an email about midday from my favorite professor at Edgewood who was scheduled to teach my next course. She explained that she would no longer be teaching the course, and that an adjunct had been selected to replace her. 

Lindsey's usual reaction: (In an unnecessarily loud voice) "What?! What the heck?! I've already started working ahead! I've read textbook chapters! I HATE adjuncts! This will ruin everything! This whole course is worthless!" This would have gone on for a few minutes, maybe a half an hour. Ranting and raving is sort of my specialty.

Lindsey's reaction today: (Quietly, to myself) "Well, this isn't ideal, and I am disappointed that I won't have my favorite professor this semester. But hey, now I can take a few more days to enjoy not having to study. And hopefully she has our best interest in mind with this adjunct." Then I moved on to other things. 

Truth be told, the reaction sort of surprised even me. Usually my flair for the dramatic leaves me kicking and screaming, even if just for a moment, over every little thing. This should have been one of those things. But it wasn't. I was controlled, somewhat even-keeled, and I didn't dwell. Now, I'm not assuming that this will be my regular reaction to all circumstances. (Some circumstances just need a good fit pitched every now and again.) But I do think that taking a moment to pause and reflect the significance of this tiny moment helps me to realize that maybe this transition into adulthood isn't all just talk. Maybe I actually am a grownup.

No comments: