Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The body lies.

After a slow few days following a yellow fever vaccination that resulted in a few days of a sore arm, a low grade fever, and some flu-like symptoms, I thought I'd try to take a little run. It had been a week since my last outing, and I was itching for a good stride. Due to some nasty winds and some impending rain, I opted for a nice cozy treadmill rather than being blown into traffic at the top of some hill. 

A half mile in, I knew it was going to be a tough run, so I chose some shorter burst speed drills rather than going for distance, which at least gave my lungs some reprieve between sets. But the experience got me to thinking about how I ever got to be any sort of athlete at all. Three years ago, I couldn't run two minutes at a time. I couldn't really swim more than a length of the pool. I didn't own a bike or a good pair of running shoes. Sure I've been a long-time on-again, off-again yogi, but I didn't focus nearly any time on conditioning my body, just when it happenstancically fit into my work schedule. 

I think there are lies that we tell ourselves when we aren't good to our bodies. Things that somehow justify our behaviors and leave us in our places. Thinking of these lies bring me back not only to a few years ago, but to my first days as a college recruiter, where road time, sitting in high schools, and running through the McDonald's drive-thru were my normal activities. Scary to think how fast my work clothes didn't fit and I started feeling pretty terrible. A few months really. But anyway, back to the lies. 

Lie #1: Really, I'm fine.

Really? That's where we want to start? Yeah, keep telling yourself you're fine as you struggle mightily to get up the stairs. As your joints complain and show signs of wear. Keep up the lie that you're fine and unaffected as you gain weight and lose muscle and flexibility and range of motion. 

How about instead, you take a good honest status check of what your body is really saying. That McDonald's food isn't satisfying, neither is the third helping of anything. Your knees might be wearing out. You know that once they're gone, they're gone right? Your lungs are crying out for assistance. You, my friend, are not fine. This is a lie developed by the side of you that is more content lying on the couch than going to the effort of stretching or moving. The side of you who would just as soon find an elevator. The side of you that believes that your knees or hips or back won't ever really wear out completely. But here's the thing - our bodies only know how to deteriorate when left to their own devices. (More on this in a bit.) You're not fine. Find what isn't fine in you. Recognize it and be ready to work to make it right. 

Lie #2: I don't have time. 

Funny thing about time, it's always somehow full. We make choices everyday about how we will spend our time. And there is a side of you, the same side that believes the lie that you're fine, that believes that there is nothing you can do to find time to work for the benefit of your body. Sure, that hour long phone conversation was important. And on, my favorite movie is on tv tonight! And isn't it just nice to come home from work and just be home for the night? Ooh, Facebook drama...cat videos...new baby photos! There is always something lurking in the shadows that wants your time. 

But you do have a choice. You have choices everyday to make your body better or to make it worse. I, for instance, have nearly completely given up watching tv. Why? Because it takes up time, it's generally not good for me in any way, and it's not even all that gratifying to watch! But yet, we watch. For hours. Sometimes I give up sleeping in an extra half hour. Sometimes I sacrifice a little quality snuggle on the couch. Something always has to give when you make a new choice about how to spend your time. But time is always there for you to decide what to do with. Trust me, you do have the time. 

Lie #3: My body can't do that. 

Do you think that I got to where I am today (or will get to where I will be in the future) by believing the lie that my body just can't or won't do something? There is a force far more powerful than your body. It's your heart (or for extremely mental athletes, your brain...I'll talk about both here). Your body will always believe only in its limitations. As I said before, our bodies were born knowing only how to decay. They were, indeed born to die. But our hearts and brains are constantly learning, growing, shifting, changing, developing... And their strength is incredible! 

And let's have an honest moment about working out hard. It hurts! I mean really! My body will always tell me no. It believes it can't. It tries to convince me it won't. But then my heart kicks in, and it gives my body its marching orders, because, well, I really want to be well, to be strong. I do. My body doesn't. So I push it. I force the issue. I quiet the lie that tells me I can't with a might and ferocious, "I CAN." And then I do my very best. Sometimes I succeed. Sometimes, like tonight, I struggle. But after a few years of pushing and forcing and encouraging and believing in my heart that my body is wrong, it turns out, it is. 

Look, I don't really know who this pep talk was meant for. Maybe just for me. I don't want to settle for believing I'm fine. I want to take the time to work hard and sweat and get stronger, and I know that I can expect my brain and heart to push my body well beyond the limits it believes it has. 

I am 30. I have every intention of not allowing my body to decay and deteriorate. I will fight death with life, with deep breaths, with strong muscles, with fast runs, long swims, impossibly hilly bikes. I will get stronger because I can. Won't you join me? Save that deteriorating body with an invigorated soul, with new goals and with no lies about what is possible standing in your way.

No comments: