Monday, October 23, 2006

Round-Abouts and Other Confusions in Green Bay

Can someone explain the purpose of a round-about? I mean really. You know what I'm talking about right? Those ridiculous substitutes for corners or four-way stops that require you to circle your way precariously around to the right on a very tight curve while simultaneously trying to avoid all the other cars coming in from three other entrances, exiting at random all at incredibly high speeds.

Now, what exactly is the point to all this? Is it faster than a four-way stop? I think not. Everyone still has to yield to that person on their left entering the circle while keeping a mindful eye on that car to your right that may slip in before you do. Is it safer than a four-way stop? Absolutely not! Everyone at least comes to a stop at a four-way stop! Round-abouts? No stopping required, occasionally it's a good idea, but definitely not required. Are they more cost effective than the stop? I don't see how. They require so much more pavement (the big circle is probably the equivalent of an extra city block).

In my opinion these crazy round-abouts are just ridiculous. Just ridiculous.

You know what else is ridiculous? Today, Green Bay got its fair share of snow sprinkles throughout the day, but the sun refused to give up. Every time that it snowed today, it was also sunny. I thought it quite strange.

Oh, and for the record, Green Bay-not so scary. I thought that it would be a little more big-city-ish. But so far, I've found it to be very nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

comment, comment

We are here talking about the lovely young lady you are. We kept your mom under control yesterday when she wanted to party all day long!!!!

We play GC at Grundy tonight in volleyball. We'll see what happens. Bring back memories.

Have a great day and drive safely.

Oh, by the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Anonymous said...

Liberty has a few roundabouts...but they are at not very busy intersections of shopping locations - in which case they are MUCH quicker than 4 way stops, and much preferable to stop lights. So...YAY ROUNDABOUTS! I'd probably feel different if they were more than one lane roundabouts, though. Good work being safe and not getting hit (or hitting anyone).

For the record, I almost got in a rear-ender TWICE in TWO DAYS! Crazy KC traffic, I tell yah. I'm kinda proud though...I left black marks on the pavement BOTH times. OH YEAH!