Monday, November 20, 2006

Fa La La La La La...

It's that time of year again! And I must confess that I'm excited....and a little confused. Excited because it sure is Thanksgiving time (which also means it's also almost Christmas time), and confused because how the heck did the whole year disappear already?!? You know, you always hear it from those older and wiser that as you get older, time goes faster. I guess I never really believed it to be true. I mean, don't you remember summer break in elementary school lasting what seemed like years. I few days into break we were already bored. But now, summer? What summer? Did summer happen? I can't recall.

And now, here I am, in mid-November, working my first real job, complete with college degree and all, and all I wish is for time to just slow down a little. At this point in my life, young as it still is, I find myself looking back thinking, "I never thought I'd..." Let's recap. Mom and Dad, don't get too weepy over all the reminiscing.

In elementary school, I never thought I'd be anything but a teacher. I was going to teach any and all grades...I could never really narrow it down to my favorite age group. Little did I know that high school and my ego would change my mind down the road.

In high school, I never thought that I would fail engineering in college. I was the best in high school. I was the best at drafting, at tech. classes, at math and science. I thought I was the stuff and destined to be an amazing engineer, making loads of money. Let's face it, communications and public relations weren't even on my radar.

And one more: I never thought I'd be attending my 23rd family Thanksgiving without that special someone to enjoy it with. As long as I can remember, even the past year or so, I had a sort of "target date" to be happily married: 23. Silly, I know. Plenty of time, I know. But it's just the thought that lingered my whole life that a girl was supposed to be married at 23. Maybe by next year...

And a bonus: I never thought that despite all of the "never thoughts" that have taken place throughout life, that I would be as happy and content as I am. So here's a toast to "never thoughts" of the past and those that are yet to come.

That all being said, enjoy your holiday season. Enjoy your family. And take a little time to be thankful for all the "never thoughts" that make life so beautiful.

No comments: