Monday, November 09, 2009

Choices and Excuses

I don't really want to hear it anymore. Really, I just don't. I'm pretty done with excuses from everyone....myself included. It's easy to make excuses, but I've come to learn that it's pretty tough to really, seriously back them up.

When it boils all the way down, excuses are an attempt to make up for our choices, however good or bad those choices may have been. When you say, I don't have my textbook with me because I just came from the doctor, what you really mean is, I chose to leave my book at home before leaving for the doctor. When you say, I honestly don't have the time to even look at this before next week, (and I'm just as guilty as the next person of this one) what you really are saying is, I have chosen to over-commit myself in too many things for me to take care of this. When you say, I can't, what you're most likely saying is, I choose not to.

Please don't misunderstand me here. I get it. Life can be hard. I've been through one of the toughest stretches of my life in the last few years. Sometimes circumstances are not what you expect. Things get a little out of hand. And suddenly you're in over your head. But please don't just sit there and blame the circumstances. If you're failing a class, quit something extracurricular or drop a class or take fewer hours at work. If you can't handle a role you are in, step down and let someone else take over. Make a choice to change your circumstance.

Tonight, I obviously sat through a few rough meetings, heard my fair share of excuses. Not knowing what else to do, I simply sat patiently and waited for the meetings to adjourn wondering what in the world would be appropriate to say. Nothing came to mind, so the meeting ended, and I got up and left. What could I say? I just hope I can lead by strong enough example to teach them through my actions rather than the inspired words that never come...

No comments: