Friday, November 13, 2009

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

In the past few weeks, as incredibly as it may sound, I have been sassed (yes, I said sassed) by two separate alumni at two separate events on campus. I have the following issues with this:

1) You're a grown adult. You have fully developed sensors in your brain that let you know what is appropriate and what is not. Please employ them before speaking to me in a disrespectful or degrading tone.

2) You're not a student here anymore. As an alum of the University of Dubuque, I realize that you have several rights - you can be on campus, you can participate in some specific alumni-tailored events, and you can give all the money you'd like to the University to use for the benefit of our students. This does not, however, give you the privilege to show up uninvited or unannounced and proceed to think, talk, and act negatively toward an employee of the University (that would be me).

3) You're a grown adult. Oh, did I say that one already? Right. Well, I just wanted to make sure there was no confusion. I am also a grown adult. It doesn't really matter if you're older than me or even if you have more history at the University than I do. I am an employee of the University and a human being, both of which deserve at least a shred of respect. I'm not even asking you to like me, just don't treat me like I'm dirt.

Okay, well, I just needed to get that off my chest. One moment of disrespect probably would have rolled off my shoulders, but two in a few weeks' time was just getting ridiculous. And don't get me wrong. Typically, I love alumni. I think they are a great resource, hold many historic treasures from years gone by, and they can be fun. But, apparently, sometimes they can also be jerks. If you happen to be a UD alum, feel free to approach me with any ideas you may have for the improvement of the campus or just to say hello, unless you are going to act like a child or like you've got something to prove. Then you can just stay away. Thanks.

No comments: