Monday, November 22, 2010

A Legitimately Good Day

Do you ever have a legitimately good day? One where everything is going better than you thought, the phone doesn't ring (unless you want it to), your inbox isn't swamped (for once), and all the answers to your questions come back just as you were hoping they might? Well, they don't happen all that often for me. I mean, I have good days, but today was just a down right great day. Usually in my world, it's sink or swim, oh yeah, and fight the current while you're out there in the deep. Today was like chillin' in the Dead Sea - no work, no waves, just floating along happily, everything going right. 

Yesterday, I remembered to put the trash on the curb. Today, I went to work, and I even arrived a few minutes earlier than my usual. I received free biscotti from a colleague who fresh baked it. I went to a meeting that I had very low expectations for only to be blown away by an almost too-good response from all the attendees. The words, "Seriously? No questions?" came out of my mouth more than once. I got back to my office to find only one new voicemail that I didn't have to return as well as a few emails that I had been waiting on with the responses I was looking for. I got a free lunch.

After that, all I wanted was to get away from the office, despite how great it had treated me all morning. I just figured that the longer I stayed, the higher the probability that the day would somehow come crashing down in flames. So, I emailed a friend as a long shot to see if she wanted to play...which she checked almost immediately and called me within a few minutes. We promptly decided to go see a movie (why not?) and then I stayed to help make and consume a delicious meal. Oh, and then on the way home, a good old friend called to tell me she had just been proposed to. 

Why am I telling you all of this, you wonder? Well, I'm not sure. It's just something to rejoice over I suppose. And in our busy lives, how often do we take the time to just enjoy a great day? How often do we stop to think of how very good we have it?

Today I am reminded of how very blessed I am, how thankful I am for all I've been given. And looking back on today full of laughter, squeals of delight, even an actual physical jump for joy, all I want to do is give all of it back to God in an act of worship. I know He delighted in my heart being glad. And I delight in Him, from who all good things come.

1 comment:

Joyce Boike said...

Yay for such a good day! It was a pretty great day for me, too! :-)