Thursday, September 25, 2008

A Moment of Bliss

At this moment I should be doing my homework, but I just wanted to share one quick thing.

Tonight, I went to a new staff/faculty gathering at the President's house for dinner. I for sure didn't know anyone there, but in my usual fashion, it didn't take long for me to find a conversation buddy (a preacher from Chicago now teaching Greek at the seminary), and then a conversation circle. The food was delicious, the conversation lively, and the atmosphere in the house was light and overall pretty laid back.

For about an hour and a half I spent my time with the new staff members, many of them teachers. I found myself a little out of my element because I was one of the only non-teachers in my particular conversation circle. People began to leave, and I was left without chatting buddies, but I had noticed that Jeff and Dana's babysitter was an RA from campus that I had gotten to know somewhat in recent weeks.

Fairly awkwardly, I asked Dana (who I had only met once before and had never been in her home) if she would mind if I slipped downstairs for a bit to say hi to Sam and to play a little with the kids. Let's face it, although the networking was great, the meal was great...I'd much rather be in a room with a bunch of kids. And the Bullock's have three awesome boys. For nearly an hour we played an odd combination of Hide and Seek, Marco Polo, and Hot and Cold. We wrestled, we tickled, we jumped around like goofballs. And then everyone else went home. I made pretty fast friends with the guys and ended up reading the two little ones bedtime stories and tossing the dog a ball for a bit before I headed home.

Amongst all the sadness and grief around campus lately, tonight was a moment of bliss. A short time to just be a simple, fun-loving, goofy, crazy kid. Why in the world don't we do that more often? I had such a great time, and although it may not have been the greatest first impression for the President and his wife, it was sure worth it.

No comments: