Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Word Accident

I have had quite enough of the word accident. I have heard it more in the last few weeks that I care to count. It used to be one of those words that you could use in casual conversation with little thought to the potential meaning. Now, it has become a word that shakes me on a deep level, making the world pause briefly one more time.

Today began with the word accident. "Pastor Ethan was in an accident." was one of the first things I heard as I walked into church to rehearse with the worship team. I couldn't breathe. Tears pressed forward as I fought them back. I can't handle any more accidents. Thankfully, he's fine. A few hours in a hospital is nothing compared to what it could have been. I pray thanks for that.

This afternoon a call came in for yet another UD accident. How could there be another one? Our little community cannot handle any more accidents. We all are in a state of shock...trying to pull ourselves together just to be able to function. There just can't be any more.

Through all of these accidents, I was reminded by a co-worker that we have two choices in times like these. We can either question God and be angry with His plan and decisions...claiming that He's not listening to us, not caring about us, not loving us.... Or we can run to God knowing that He is the only one that can provide us with the comfort and love that we need so desperately. We must remember that we don't always get to know or understand God's plan. It would simply be too much for us to handle. But He does have a plan, and it is all for good. We may not understand His plan or His timing, but we must trust that He loves us as His children, and He knows far better than we.

So as I hear the word accident again and again, even as it shakes me inside like few words ever have, I will run to my Father for comfort and care knowing He loves me dearly.

No comments: