Thursday, September 25, 2008

Strength

Today is what is hopefully the end to a very long, sad few weeks in the UD family. A memorial service commended Lisa's life into God's hands and gave a feeling of finality to the tragedies.

As a staff person on campus, I've felt the need to be strong for those that needed comfort and a listening ear and arms to hug. For the most part I managed to hold together, shedding only a few tears when certain memories come to mind. But today, I began to doubt my strength. I felt myself beginning to unravel for just a moment. And I wondered, What happens when I don't have any more strength to share? But God continues to provide, and in that moment of doubt and fear, He brought a warm smile and an arm around me from a person who knew I would need it. We didn't exchange a single word. She was just there. And sometimes that is enough.

We can't always be the strong ones. We're all only human. But that's the great thing about our infinite God. He already knew there would be times when we would be weak, times we would be scared, times we would want to give up or walk away. And He created others to fit into the spaces we can't fill ourselves. Like a brilliant million piece puzzle, we fit together in times of need, joy, sorrow, love, pain... These divine appointments get us through life, and we must know that it is not by accident.

Infinite God, in uncertain times, we run to You as our certainty. You are the Great Provider, knowing even beyond what I think I need for myself what my needs truly are. I run to You and praise You even when I don't fully understand You. For You are God, and that is all that matters.

No comments: