Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Holy Ephesians! (Part Two)

I left off in a state of crazy overwhelmedness in part one of this Ephesians 1 discovery at the end of verse 8. I've read chapter 1 a few times since then, so I'm going to try to get through another section of this beautiful letter from Paul. 

Verses 9-10: "And he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times will have reached their fulfillment - to bring all things in heaven and on earth together under one head, even Christ." I can't honestly say that at this time I feel like God has made known to me the mystery of his will...I mean, most days it still feels completely like a mystery. But I'm pretty sure what Paul more likely meant was that God revealed how He was going to save us when He sent Jesus, Jesus died, and Jesus rose from them dead. When Jesus rose from the dead, people knew what it was that he had done - and the mystery of God's will was made known to us. And we know, too, how the story is going to end. It ends with a new heaven and earth, and all believers together worshiping Christ forever. 

The next few verses, I really have to break down, but verses 11-12: "In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of his will, in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory." Um...what? Paul, too many thoughts buddy. Slow down so that the rest of us can understand. Okay, so God had a plan, and that was to save me. And I should be saved to the very glory of God. I feel like that makes sense, but am I getting it all here? God's glory is revealed through His saving of me?

Verses 13-14: "And you also were included in Christ when you hear the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession - to the praise of his glory." I can't honestly say that I've ever thought of the Holy Spirit as the down payment that ensures my inheritance. I've always just though of the Holy Spirit as that part of the three-in-one-God that lives in our hearts, and there just wasn't much thought beyond that. But because I have the Holy Spirit dwelling in me, I know that my future is secure. I know that at the day of God's redemption of His people, I'll be saved. And that's the deposit, the down payment, the signature on the contract, if I've ever seen one. And all of that is done by God and to the glory of God. 

After reading this passage this carefully, combing through every phrase, realizing what it all might possibly mean, I wonder what Pastor Ken was thinking making it the memory verses for church for the past few months. There's so much here that we're all missing. But, I guess it got me to dig in a little deeper, explore a little further, and I guess if it was just me in the whole church that took the time (and will still need more time) to explore this passage at all, then maybe Ken, or much more likely, God, really did know what He was doing.

No comments: