Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Every Project Takes a Weirdy

I have recently started a new project in life. (At this point, a few of you are thinking, "Why in the world would you start another project? Aren't two jobs, a volleyball team, grad school, and moving enough?" But I really like projects.)

I have joined the planning committee for the Habitat for Humanity Women's Build. Women from across Grant county will be coming together for the next year and a half planning, organizing, learning, and building a new home for a needy family in the area. How cool is that? Now, being realistic, there are many men that will be instrumental in the project. For instance, how many female contractors or subcontractors do you know in the county? Can you think of one? How about any county? The answer is no. There aren't many female cement pourers, carpenters, plumbers, or electricians out there. So, men will be definitely helping, but it's the women who will be in there getting their hands dirty, learning the trade of home-building, framing, siding, roofing, finishing...How cool.

If anyone is interested in helping (either in the planning, learning a new trade, leading a crew or committee, or actually building that house) please let me know. I'd love to have a huge crew of amazing women working hard to help a family out. Give me a call or shoot me an email.

As it turns out, the director of Grant counties Habitat is kind of a weirdy. Not so much a weirdy as just a disorganized space cadet. It made me laugh at our first meeting last night because she kept saying, "I love organizing things...I just love it," as another pile of papers fell off the table, or she needed to run to her office one more time for something. (Ladies, she really needs our help!) :)

Anyway, new endeavors are always fun. Join in!

No comments: