Saturday, October 09, 2010

Lots of Life!

Sometimes I wonder how many lives I've managed to live in my still-short life of nearly twenty seven years. Some days I feel so young and full of inexperience and wonder. Other days, I feel like I've lived to a great old age.

Tonight, the students of the University Program Council came over to my house for a movie night. I happily came home a bit early from work and anxiously prepared for their arrival, wondering who would come for sure and what time they would arrive. We all crowded into the kitchen, where everyone always seems to gather no matter how many other great rooms there are to hang out in. Then we packed around the dining room table sharing far too much Chinese food for dinner. Blankets and pillows and a host of furniture rearranging made it officially movie time, and I loved that everyone made themselves truly comfortable snuggled up on the couches and sprawled out on the floor, and lively conversation filled the room the instant the movie was over. 

I couldn't help but think that this must be what parents feel like when their grown kids come home for the holidays. My heart just smiled to watch my students enjoy themselves, relax, and laugh. And when they all finally filed out the door and to their cars, I happily turned around to survey the pleasant messes left behind...crumbs on the coffee tables, empty cans and cups on the counter, chairs and pillows not near where they once where. 

I feel like I've lived so very much life tonight, like a mother of grown children; I'm exhausted, content, and perfectly happy to clean up after kids that I've grown so very proud of.

No comments: