Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Thoughts on the Proverbs 31 Woman

I should be grading papers...

I've been giving some thought to the noble woman described in Proverbs 31 lately. It seems to me to be pretty radical for the time it was written and radical in comparison to other biblical passages on marriage and women. Some of this chapter actually makes me grin - what a woman! She feeds her family (well), clothes them and keeps them comfortable, earns good money, buys and sells wisely and at her own discretion, is physically strong, manages all of the affairs of the household...

But the line that catches me tonight is verse 25: "She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come." What a cool woman. She laughs at the days to come. Why? She is completely certain in her God that sustains her in all of her efforts. She knows that she and her family are protected, cared for, provided for. She is not cowering in fear at what might happen in the future - she looks up, cracks a smile, and laughs

Now, I have seen this passage before today. I've read it plenty of times. Most of the times I've read it, I've been discouraged or even a little mocking of her. Who could possibly be all of these things? This is not real life. But lately, I've been reading it with new eyes - knowing that these traits are noble and godly. And I've begun to resonate with this noble woman, desiring to be more like her, finding similarities to her. Look at all the things God has provided in my life - the skills to earn and use money wisely, a home to take care of, physical abilities to work on projects and passions... These gifts are from God, and I can use them to the glory of God.

So, let me look up, smile and even laugh at what is to come, knowing that God is in control of it all. And I am provided for, cared for, and protected by Him who loves me dearly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I needed to read this today, to be reminded of that verse... that a woman after God's own heart can laugh at the days to come.