Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Stones Cry Out

Moses stood in the middle of an open field, doing all of his shepherdly duties for his family, minding his own business, and if he was anything like me, he was most likely knee deep in a daydream about life, when out of the blue, a bush spontaneously combusted. I imagine Moses to gasp, wondering what in the world was going on. Wouldn't you? And as he walked a bit closer to see the strange sight of a bush burning but not burning up, he heard God's very voice instruct him to remove his shoes, as he was standing on holy ground in the very presence of God.

In chapel last week, the musical worship leader expressed eloquently the idea that we are standing on holy ground, too. She even went so far as to have us all remove our shoes as Moses had done. We were not in the presence of a burning-but-not-burning-up bush, but we were indeed in God's presence. Matthew 18:20 reminds us that where a few are gathered, God's presence is there. And in Psalm 19, David passionately shares that God's glory is not only expressed where people are, but all of creation is shouting praises, singing songs, glorifying God in ways that transcend language and human expression.

Jesus reiterates this in Luke 19:40. He looks Pharisees square in the eye and tells them that if people keep quiet, even the stones will cry out to God. Stones. They are not even alive, but yet they can scream out the glory of God. The last thing I want is for rocks to cry out when I don't. I want to make sure that I am always crying out, just oozing with worship to God, that everything I do needs to bring glory to Him. What would life look like if everything I did, everything I said, was truly in worship of God?

No comments: