Thursday, August 24, 2006

New Job!

Yesterday I began a very new adventure in the story of my life. I started my new job at UWP Prospective Student Services. You are now reading the blog of an Associate Admission Advisor and Territorial Manager...(longest title ever?) I wasn't sure how the adventure would begin, but it quickly turned into a typical university day.

I began by sitting at my desk for a half an hour staring at a black computer screen. Everyone was busy starting their own day, so I just patiently waited for someone to tell me what I should do. But I did take the initiative to turn on my computer and attempt to log in. And I failed. Someone had locked my computer with an administrator password, so I couldn't log in...thus the black screen. Then I sat in a group meeting with our office and met everyone officially. And the group is a very enjoyable one that I think I will hang out with a lot.

After the meeting going over what we would need to train on, I then sat around for a while until the Student Affairs Division meeting. This meeting was one that I had heard of as an RA. It was one of those meetings that the Resident Directors always were forced to dress up a little more and attend. So, naturally, when I saw all the Housing Staff at the meeting, I suddenly felt like I was breaking some rule by being there. It was just a strange way to transition from student to professional.

After the awkward meeting and lunch, I decided to accomplish something, so I went around to what seemed like 50 some offices around campus to get paperwork taken care of. This took quite the effort and the run around all over campus. But I got my new ID, driving authorization, and credit card papers all almost taken care of. I hope to finish that stuff by the end of tomorrow.

While I was taking care of that stuff, I got side tracked by Stacie, the Marketing Manager, in our office, to help with the whole tv spot. I showed them the cool park and bridge behind campus, and I got some disk golfers to be in a shot, too. I felt powerful. :)

Today was super boring having to go through campus new staff orientation. I kind of wanted to poke my eyes out several times. Most of the information was for teaching staff and faculty...not non-teaching staff like myself. But lunch was a crazy experience. The chancellor decided to plop down at my table and chat for the lunch hour. I told him that I used to be a student there (bad chancellor for forgetting me), and that I lived across the street from him. It was cool.

So that was the first two days. Both had their ups and downs, but I think I'm really going to like this job, and if I do say so myself, I think I'll be pretty good at it. :)

So, how was your day?

No comments: