Friday, August 04, 2006

Up and Down Day

Today was a great day...most of it.

I woke up late, even later than usual. It was like 9:15. I thought I set my alarm for 8:00, but it turns out, not so much. But it's ok. I feel rested, and that gave me a happy start to my day.

I began by cleaning up some junk around my place, and that only led to my OCD raging out of control. First I organized the bathroom cabinet...to the best of my ability. Then I moved on to the upstairs. This was, for reasons I can't explain and don't understand, completely out of control. There was clothes everywhere, the bed was unmade, the closet and dresser were overflowing with unfolded and sometimes inside-out clothes. I looked at the whole sight with disbelief. How could this have happened? Me...Miss OCD herself let things get out of control. So, after I got over the initial shock and bewilderment, I got straight to work. All the drawers were emptied into coordinated piles, separated by type of clothing, of course. Then they were all neatly folded, and put back into the drawers. Oh, and I pulled out about a garbage bag full of stuff that would obviously not fit me or I would never wear again to give away to GoodWill. Then I moved on to the closet and repeated the whole process until all the clothing was neatly stored away where it belonged.

Several hours later I came back downstairs and looked for another project. The kitchen definitely had potential to be another OCD project, and as it turned out, it sure was. So I started on one wall and emptied the cupboards, cleaned them out, and put stuff that made more sense inside. The most gratifying project of all in the kitchen was the tupperware cupboard. Man, there's a lot of junk in there. After sorting them all into piles according to size, shape, and style, I put them back, and, of course, I lined them up with their coordinating lids to make it the most convenient for future storage opportunities.

After that, I looked around to find yet another project, but I had none. But I did have an unignorable urge to buy organizational tools. So, I made a list, and flew to Wal-Mart (where, coincidentally I ran into Gail again...that would be two days in a row that we were both at Wal-Mart at the same time). I managed to spend way too much money, but I did buy some cool things that made me very happy. I bought eight, no, nine baskets, a new kitchen clock (which I think is very classy), and three square cork boards with black frames. Oh, I also got three kitchen canisters for sugar and such.

I got home and immediately implemented all of my new tools, and it was very satisfying. But then...the phone rang. Bri was calling, and I was very excited. We were going to hang out tonight and do girl things like binge on ice cream and watch teary romantic movies (or something), but her night became full...good grief for the parents wanting to go out to eat with their daughter anyway. And my high from the day of fulfilling my compulsions was suddenly gone. The idea of spending my Friday night alone was very sad. It made me wish for my family, my boyfriend, some friends...

But then Bri promised to spend tomorrow night with me. So, I guess all's well that ends well. So, for tonight, I'll hang out and watch some lame TV until I fall asleep. Sweet. (Oh, and I'll definitely call my boyfriend, who will undoubtedly cheer me up.)

Well, I'm sure no one actually spent the time to read all the way through this ridiculous memory walk through my day, but at least I feel better having shared my thoughts with...my keyboard...

No comments: