Thursday, August 10, 2006

Wind Through My...Helmet

Today was the first day that I got to test ride my brand new bike. And I must say, it felt pretty darn good. Ok, so I can't lie. Most of it felt good. The climbing of the massive hill located on County B on your way to the M...no so good. In fact, it was down right painful. But hey, beauty has a price...ok, so I'm not even in it for any sort of beautification. I just want to be in shape, you know, feel good. But the road to being in shape is paved with lactic acid (which for those of you who failed biology, that's what makes your over-used muscles feel sore). But enough about the pavement. Let's set some goals!

I feel the desire to participate in Platteville's next summer Parks and Rec Triathlon. Weird, since I have not always been known as the physically ambitious type and especially not the running type. But I've got the drive, so goals are next.

During the winter, due to the Midwest's tendancy to be snowed upon, I figure there will not be much biking done. But I will get a PAC membership and go to the pool several times a week and lift in the weight room several times a week. While I'm on the road with my job, I will hopefully have hotels with pools in which I will swim. Once spring comes, it's all about the bike and the run and the outdoor swim.

Now, don't get me wrong, this does sound like a lot of work, but I have already decided that I am not doing this to say I am the best or the fastest or the coolest person you've ever seen. I want to do it for FUN. That's right all you crazy people out there. Working out can be fun. Being in shape, also fun. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Anybody want to join me?

On a completely related note - I will be doing some triathlon traveling the next few days. Let me elaborate. I will be leaving on a family fun trip to Illinois to see a beautiful baby, followed closely (and I do mean like 20 hours later) by a trip to visit my parents, followed immediately by a trip to see my boyfriend in his natural habitat. Talk about your triathlon! But it should be super fun, and then it's reality check time as I start my real-life job two days after my return. Woo! Life is sure crazy. Don't blink, you might miss it!

Lyrics to ponder tonight...Jennifer Knapp "In the Name"

All these years, too many ahead to think clear
Some say where's my crystal ball.
Some men play the lottery,
Makin' bets against the governments economy.
They say I'd rather be rich than be alive at all.

When men in miry circumstances fall,
It won't be hard to tell where they placed their resolve.

Some trust in chariots,
But we trust in the name of the Lord our God.
To each his own won't lead you home and prob'ly never will.
I won't trust in the things I do.
Cuz they will not stand and they won't come through.
So I'll trust in the name of the Lord my God...
Oh, I'll trust in the name.

Picket fences may build our defense
In domestic wars of leisure suits.
That's ok, it doesn't bother me.
You can hold onto your philosophy of
What's mine is mine, what's yours is yours,
But whats the truth?

When the walls do crumble and they fall,
It won't be hard to tell where we place our resolve.

Some trust in chariots,
But we trust in the name of the Lord our God.
To each his own won't lead you home and prob'ly never will.
I won't trust in the things I do.
Cuz they will not stand and they won't come through.
So I'll trust in the name of the Lord my God...
Oh, I'll trust in the name.

No comments: