Thursday, August 31, 2006

Training and Being the Big Kid

If I had to sum up the past few weeks at work, there would only be a few words that would come to mind: a lot of fun, a lot of sitting around. It's a strange combination of expressions, but so far, pretty accurate. (Note the time of this post is 8:36 am...)

Sure, I have been through a great deal of training that has shared a lot of information that is actually useful to my position. And as it turns out, there is a lot to know before I go out on the road. Today and tomorrow I will be in an especially weird spot. It's too early to call schools, as most either have just started classes, or will not start classes until next week. But, in all honesty, that's about all I have to do for now. Once I begin calling schools, life will get crazy, and I'll be lucky if my phone will ever stop ringing, but for now....silence.

Now, about being the big kid... I still have to say that my transition from student to professional is not near complete, but each day brings me a little closer. Last night, I went with the rest of the women of the office to Provost, Carol Sue's house for a women's social with desserts, junk food, and like 50 bottles of wine. The whole point: to mingle with other women of the university...my accomplishment for the night: mingling with the other admission advisors and just saying hello to all my old professors. But I have to say that I did feel like a big kid...and that's a good feeling.

No comments: